The South Square Room at Monticello was used as a family sitting room as well as a classroom for Jefferson's grandchildren.
People in the picture:
- Martha Jefferson Randolph, standing
- Virginia Jefferson Randolph, age 11, sitting and reading a book.
- Meriwether Lewis Randolph, age 2, toddler
- Benjamin Franklin Randolph, age 4, kneeling.
- Ellen Wayles Randolph, age 16, standing and holding yarn and knitting needles.
- Cornelia Jefferson Randolph, age 13, painting
- Israel Gillette, age 12, enslaved child holding firewood.